[Dune] a problem with mpi using with dune

Arya Fallahi arya.fallahi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 11:19:03 CEST 2012

Dear Dune developers,

Trying to install the dune svn-version 2.3 with openmpi 1.6.1 on an ubuntu
12.04 system, I faced with a problem that I could not solve on my own. The
code compiles well however when running in parallel all the returned ranks
are zero. I suppose this is due to using different mpi implementations
during compilation and running. This seems to be the case after looking at
the log file. Dune was always using the preinstalled mpich2 on ubuntu,
whereas during the run it calls mpirun from the installed openmpi package.
The related part to the problem is as the following:

checking for mpicc... mpicc
checking for MPI_Init... yes
checking for mpi.h... yes
configure: Trying to identify the version of MPI compiler mpicc
checking for lam... no
checking for mpich... no
checking for OpenMPI... no
checking for MVAPICH... no
checking for MVAPICH2... no
checking for mpich2... yes
checking whether compiling with MPICH2 works... yes
configure: WARNING: Disabled test whether running with MPICH2 works.
checking for MPI_Finalized in -lm... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking for size_t... yes
checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
configure: searching for GMP in /usr...
checking gmpxx.h usability... no
checking gmpxx.h presence... no
checking for gmpxx.h... no
configure: WARNING: gmpxx.h not found in /usr
configure: searching for GMP in /usr/local...
checking for gmpxx.h... (cached) no
configure: WARNING: gmpxx.h not found in /usr/local
checking malloc.h usability... yes
checking malloc.h presence... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for pow in -lm... yes
checking for sqrt... yes
checking for strchr... yes
configure: creating ./config.lt
config.lt: creating libtool

I tried to make dune to compile using the openmpi installation using the
opt-file flags, by writing the following:

CONFIGURE_FLAGS=" CXX='/opt/openmpi-1.6.1/bin/mpicxx'
CC='/opt/openmpi-1.6.1/bin/mpicc'
LD='/opt/openmpi-1.6.1/bin/mpicxx'
LDFLAGS=' '
--enable-parallel
--prefix='/opt/cyrus'
                  --with-metis='/opt/metis-5.0.2'
                  --with-alugrid='/opt/ALUGrid-1.50'
--with-mpi='/opt/openmpi-1.6.1/' "

However, it did not work and dune is compiling with the mpich2. The
question is now, how can I tell dune to install using the openmpi
installation on ubuntu??

I hope the data you may need is enough, but if you need anymore information
just let me know about it.

Best regards and thanks for your help,
Arya