[Dune] GSOC Introduction

Siddharth Bhatia siddharthbhatia2003 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 08:23:08 CEST 2013

Hello everyone,

I am Siddharth Bhatia, a second year undergraduate student at Birla
Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani. I am sorry for being a
bit late in introducing myself but hope I can break the ice soon enough. I
am currently studying Mathematics and Computer Science and have done
courses such as Linear algebra, Graphs and Networks, Optimization,
Operations Research, Fuzzy Logic, Discrete Maths, Real analysis,
Differential equations and measure theory.

I am really interested in "Add thread support to parallel index sets"  and
want to do a project in which I am interested and where my I can be useful
too.

I am proficient in C, C++, matlab, mysql, cuda, android. I have started
exploring neural networks and machine learning recently. I did a two month
project on multiple sequence alignment this year using cuda and coded the
smith waterman algorithm parallely. I am hoping to continue and extend the
project in MPI also. I also did an analysis on fuzzy neural networks. Since
I have done queuing theory, I wrote code for simulating the models.

Last year, I did a research project at Indraprastha Institute of
Information Technology (IIIT) Delhi and worked on Mobishare; a cloud
enabled local content sharing android application for mobile phones. This
project is partially supported by a research grant from Microsoft Research
India. I researched about various Location Prediction Algorithms and
methods used by MIT, UIUC and other universities and analysed five
publications and various probability models for prediction using Markov and
NextPlace models. I also integrated Facebook into the Mobishare app along
with some user interface modifications. I took up some work on
Repositories, IRC, JSON and HTTP requests and pursued the study of
algorithms, encryption, Markov chains, Bayesian networks, cryptography.

In March 2012, I did a project on nuclear reactor shielding using Monte
Carlo simulations. We simulated the atom interactions and used netlogo.

I attended the Asian Science Camp in Israel in 2012 and since then have had
an interest in computational neuroscience too. I am an active member of the
computer science association and mobile computing group at my university. I
am also doing research work at Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, Dehradun
and attending the National University of Singapore Computing Camp in May
this year before GSOC begins.

I am really interested to work in an open source project and hope to make
some great friends and learn and code a lot. Could you guide me as to how I
should proceed?
Thanks :)
Regards
Siddharth Bhatia