[Dune] New SSL certificate for dune-project.org

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Aug 14 12:02:44 CEST 2013

Hi Markus,

Am 14.08.2013 um 11:56 schrieb Markus Blatt:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 11:38:23AM +0200, Steffen Müthing wrote:
>> we finally have a working SSL setup on our server (a combination of fixing the configuration and getting a
>> certificate signed by a well-known authority), so now you can use most of our services over HTTPS as well as
>> HTTP.
>
> Great! Thanks a lot.
>>
>> There is one exception: The Git repositories are only available over HTTPS for authenticated access, i.e. for
>> developers. We added this restriction to keep the server load down, and since there is nothing sensitive being
>> transferred during anonymous Git access, it seems like a good tradeoff to us.
>> On the other hand, if you are a developer with access rights, feel free to adjust your remote URLs to https. :-)
>
> I fear I do not comprehend this. Does it mean I have to change the
> URLs for HTTP authentication or is the authentication done via HTTPS
> automaticaly?

AFAIK, you'll have to edit your remotes manually, either by "git remote set-url origin https://git.dune-project.org/...",
or simply by editing .git/config (might be faster with a little sed one-liner). Maybe there's a clever trick to do that
automatically, but I'm not aware of one (and adding a redirect on the server won't work, because that only kicks in
after you have already sent your credentials).

So I'm afraid it's a one-off manual thing (or at least semi-manual if you use sed). :-(

Steffen