[Dune] Topological changes in the grid

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Feb 20 22:42:49 CET 2013

Hi Andrea,

If you want to track multiple subsets of your grid at once, there is also MultiDomainGrid
(http://users.dune-project.org/projects/dune-multidomaingrid). Like dune-subgrid, it is a
meta grid, i.e. it wraps your existing grid and provides additional functionality.

The main differences between dune-subgrid and dune-multidomaingrid are that MultiDomainGrid
can track several subdomains at once, but the subdomains always span the complete refinement
hierarchy, while SubGrid only supports a single subdomain, which can be restricted to a subset of
the refinement hierarchy of the host grid (that allows for things like doing adaptive refinement on
YaspGrid, which is a regular grid and wouldn't normally support such a thing).

I don't know about dune-subgrid, but dune-multidomaingrid also has an API similar to the
preAdapt(), adapt(), postAdapt() interface for refinement to help with data transfer when subdomains
change.

Steffen