[Dune] Topological changes in the grid

Carsten Gräser graeser at math.fu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 25 15:37:24 CET 2013

Am 20.02.2013 22:42, schrieb Steffen Müthing:
> Hi Andrea,
>
> If you want to track multiple subsets of your grid at once, there is also MultiDomainGrid
> (http://users.dune-project.org/projects/dune-multidomaingrid). Like dune-subgrid, it is a
> meta grid, i.e. it wraps your existing grid and provides additional functionality.
>
> The main differences between dune-subgrid and dune-multidomaingrid are that MultiDomainGrid
> can track several subdomains at once, but the subdomains always span the complete refinement
> hierarchy, while SubGrid only supports a single subdomain, which can be restricted to a subset of
> the refinement hierarchy of the host grid (that allows for things like doing adaptive refinement on
> YaspGrid, which is a regular grid and wouldn't normally support such a thing).
>
> I don't know about dune-subgrid, but dune-multidomaingrid also has an API similar to the
> preAdapt(), adapt(), postAdapt() interface for refinement to help with data transfer when subdomains
> change.
For completeness:
A subgrid is only subposed to change by refinement or coarsening using
the grid interface. Data transfer can then be done 'as usual'.  You can
also query if adaptation of the subgrid required an adapt() for the
hostgrid to do the necessary transfer for data attachted to the latter.

Best,
Carsten