[Dune] Tree structure of the grid and binary search

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jun 14 17:06:35 CEST 2013

Hi Andrea,

1) The element (entity of codimension 0) provides a hierarchic iterator. This
allows you to traverse all its children up to a maximal level
(entity.level()+1 in your case).

2) It is my understanding that you cannot coarsen away macro entities.
Therefore, the grid will contain exactly the same macro entities are before
the adaptation. This holds for all elements with satisfying "!mightVanish()".

If an entity is present in the grid before and after the adaptation, it has to
keep its id (both, local and global). Otherwise, there are no constraints that
I am aware of.

Some questions to the developers:
(a) Should the level-0 index set be kept static over adaptation?
(b) May the grid change the geometric realization of a retained entity?
(c) May the grid change the orientation of a retained entity (twist)?
(d) May a copy of an entity have a different orientation?
For (a), we could also add a capability.

Best,

Martin