[Dune] Are there still any MPI-1 users out there?

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Oct 17 17:53:53 CEST 2013

Hi everybody,

Christian recently opened FS1377 to point out that currently the MPIHelper does not allow for thread-safe initialization
of MPI (calling MPI_Init_thread instead of MPI_Init).

Unfortunately, MPI_Init_thread is an MPI-2 API, and the question is whether we'll have to add backwards compatibility
code for MPI-1.

So my question would be: Are there still any users out there who are stuck with an MPI-1 implementation (all major MPI
implementations have supported MPI-2 since about 2008)? If you are using one of the following MPIs, you are fine, because
those do all have MPI-2 support:

* OpenMPI (but please let us know if your version is older than 1.2)
* MPICH2 or MPICH 3.x (the project dropped the trailing 2 for version 3.0)
* MVAPICH2
* Intel MPI

If you are using an MPI that is *not* on this list (in particular LAM-MPI, MPICH(1) or MVAPICH(1) ), please give us a heads up.

And just to calm everybody down: Any possible change in the minimum MPI version requirements would of course happen
*after* the next release of Dune (2.3). :-)

Thank you for your help,

Steffen