[Dune] How to implement Grid without EntityPointer

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Dec 19 12:56:28 CET 2014

Hi Aleksej

Am 19.12.2014 um 12:47 schrieb Aleksejs Fomins <aleksejs.fomins at lspr.ch>:

> Dear Dune,
>
> Since EntityPointer has now been depreciated, and we are writing a new
> Grid which will see light within the next few months, it seems sensible
> to us to avoid using EntityPointer from the very beginning, that is to
> completely remove it from the new grid.
>
> Do you think this is sensible?
>
> If yes, we would appreciate some suggestions on how to change the Grid
> architecture, such that EntitySeed is used instead. Quick look at the

No, the EntitySeed is something different (it’s a handle that the grid can use to recreate
the associated entity). Basically, when you remove the EntityPointer, you move all information
that used to be stored in the EntityPointer into the Entity.

> current architecture of the GeomGrid suggests the following problematic
> spots (hope I have not missed much)
>
> Entity.subEntity()     returns entityPointer
> Entity.father()        returns entityPointer
> Grid.entityPointer()   returns entityPointer
> Intersection.inside()  returns entityPointer
> Intersection.outside() returns entityPointer
> Iterator class is derived from entityPointer, as well as its Traits

take a look at FS1511 for some lengthy discussions on the topic. It also contains a reference
to a feature branch where EntityPointer has been removed from most of the grids in dune-grid.

Steffen