[Dune] How to implement Grid without EntityPointer

Aleksejs Fomins aleksejs.fomins at lspr.ch
Fri Dec 19 12:47:17 CET 2014

Dear Dune,

Since EntityPointer has now been depreciated, and we are writing a new
Grid which will see light within the next few months, it seems sensible
to us to avoid using EntityPointer from the very beginning, that is to
completely remove it from the new grid.

Do you think this is sensible?

If yes, we would appreciate some suggestions on how to change the Grid
architecture, such that EntitySeed is used instead. Quick look at the
current architecture of the GeomGrid suggests the following problematic
spots (hope I have not missed much)

Entity.subEntity()     returns entityPointer
Entity.father()        returns entityPointer
Grid.entityPointer()   returns entityPointer
Intersection.inside()  returns entityPointer
Intersection.outside() returns entityPointer
Iterator class is derived from entityPointer, as well as its Traits

Best,
Aleksejs