[Dune] Identifying MPICH during configure

Eike Mueller e.mueller at bath.ac.uk
Fri Jan 24 11:20:48 CET 2014

Hi Oliver,

thanks a lot, I just cloned the dune-common repository and switched to
the releases/2.2 branch with "git checkout -b releases/2.2". I guess
this is newer than the 2.2.1 tarball and contains further bugfixes? It
already seems to contain the MPICH 3 fix already and compiles ok on ARCHER.

ARCHER ( http://www.archer.ac.uk/) has actually less cores than HECToR
(~70,000) but they are Intel Ivybridge (instead of AMD Opterons) and
roughly 2x faster (according to other's peoples experiences). On HECToR
the DUNE multigrid is about a factor 2x slower than my handwritten
Fortran code, so I want to check whether this difference disappears when
I go to ARCHER. I also tried to play around with the compiler flags on
HECToR, but there I never gain more than 5% (addmitedly I only changed
the flags for my own DUNE multigrid module, and didn't recompile UG or
DUNE-grid, but the code only has a 10%-20% overhead from iterating over
the grid, so that should not make a big difference).

I'm hoping to still do a 80,000 core run on HECToR anyway before it is
decommisioned in March.

Cheers,

Eike

On 24/01/14 08:25, Oliver Sander wrote:
> Am 24.01.2014 00:11, schrieb Eike Mueller:
>> Hi Steffen and Markus,
>>
>> thanks a lot, I looked at the mpi.h on my system and it indeed looks like it's MPICH 3.0 (there's a #define MPICH_VERSION "3.0.3"). Yes, I'm using version 2.2.1 of DUNE.
>>
>> As for UG, I was also using a slightly older version (patched with patch10-rc4), so I have now updated this with the latest patch as well, which fixes the problem there, I can configure, compile and install UG Grid with this.
>>
>> I also downloaded the 2.2.1 tarball of DUNE again and successfully applied the patch you describe for m4/mpi-config.m4. Unfortunately that does not seem to help, and I suspect this is because the tarball contains aclocal.m4, which does not contain the test_mpich3() marco. I don't know much about autotools, but when I try to delete aclocal.m4 and regenerate it with aclocal I run into a different problem:
>>
>> eike at eslogin004 $ aclocal
>> configure.ac:6: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
>> configure.ac:6: the top level
>> autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
>> aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
> Hi Eike,
> quick solution:
> clone into dune-common, change to the 2.2 branch, apply the patch there and do a 'make dist'.
> That gives you a tarball with the patch.
> ideal solution: we do that for you, and do a 2.2.2 release of dune-common.
>
> PS: That Archer thing has how many processors?  What's your goal with UG?
>
> Cheers,
> Oliver [waiting for new bugreports :-) ]
>

>> Apart from this, just looking through the patch, running ./conftest in mpi_trybuild_run() might not work as the MPI compiler is configued to cross-compile for the compute nodes, so I'm not sure I can execute anything on the login nodes, but I will find out once the configure runs.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eike

>>> Ah, that's good! :-)
>>>
>>> But if Eike is still on 2.2.1, he doesn't have that patch yet...

Dr Eike Hermann Mueller
Research Officer (PostDoc)

Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Bath