[Dune] cmake docu ?

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 24 11:53:55 CET 2014

Hi Christoph,

Am 21.11.2014 um 17:05 schrieb Christoph GrĂ¼ninger:
> Hi Carsten,
>
>> Since passing custom compiler arguments to 'make' is discouraged
>> because it is 'not the cmake way' we should explain how to
>> setup different build types as a replacement.
>>
>> Obviously you can have several option files with different
>> options and build directories. But I don't know if this is
>> the desired way.
>
> You could either have multiple build directories for your different
> options, or you can reconfigure your module. Depending on what you want
> to change, editing your CMakeCache.txt file would be an option, too.

in principle I'd like to have different build directories
per build type. But I don't know how to set this up. In my
dune options file I could have e.g.

  CMAKE_FLAGS="
    -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS='-g -O2' \
    -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG='-g -O0 -Wall -pedantic' \
    -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE='-O3 -DNDEBUG' \
  "

But how does dunecontrol interact with cmake wrt the
build types. It seems that I can only activate a single
build type per options file by also adding, e.g.,

  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug

to the CMAKE_FLAGS and setting

  BUILDDIR="build-debug"

This means that I'd need one options file per build type.
But then we're essentially bypassing cmakes build types
and could as well set CMAKE_FLAGS differently in each
options file.

Best,
Carsten