[Dune] Progress on CurvilinearGeometry: Time to create custom GridFactory

Aleksejs Fomins aleksejs.fomins at lspr.ch
Wed Oct 1 12:52:38 CEST 2014

Dear Duners,

I have just finished writing a parallel curvilinear GMSH reader.

This tool can read large curvilinear meshes without overhead (each
process only stores relevant vertices and elements) and output the
curvilinear mesh discretization into .vtk for debugging purposes.

I also already have the dune-geometry module that is capable of treating
curvilinear geometries

What remains to be done is the core of the dune-curvilineargeometry, and
what I would like to start with is writing a custom GridFactory.

As discussed with Prof. Bastian, it will be a hybrid implementation,
namely the straight-sided element bases will still be managed by the
host grid, but the metagrid would store and manage the interpolation points.

Namely, I would like the gridFactory to
* Include Host grid functionality
* Write call to parmetis mesh balancing routine

The following questions:
1) How would you suggest starting on the gridFactory? What could I use
as a base?
2) I suppose the hostgrid (dune-alugrid) would try to do its own metis
routine when I call it. Can I suppress it and do parmetis instead?

Regards,
Aleksejs