[Dune] how does integrationOuterNormal work?

Aleksejs Fomins aleksejs.fomins at lspr.ch
Wed Sep 17 17:38:54 CEST 2014

Dear Duners,

I started dissecting the geometrygrid/intersection.hh today, and I am a
bit puzzled how it works. Below I will provide my questions which will
correspond to certain lines in the code

Line 131:
FieldVector< ctype, dimension > x( geometryInInside().global( local ) );

Where can I find the implementation of
hostIntersection().geometryInInside() ?

Line 132:
const typename ElementGeometryImpl::JacobianInverseTransposed &jit =
insideGeo_.jacobianInverseTransposed( x );

We have just defined x to be a global coordinate in the line 131,
however in the element geometry implementations known to me (Affine and
Multilinear) the jacobianInverseTransposed method is only defined for
local coordinates. How does this work?

Line 136/137:

jit.mv( refNormal, normal );
normal *= jit.detInv();

We take a unit vector refNormal, multiply it by a matrix, and then
multiply it by the value of the integration element. Why do we not
normalize the vector normal after matrix multiplication?

Regards,
Aleksejs