[Dune] restart and factory

Marco Cisternino marco.cisternino at optimad.it
Thu Aug 27 17:37:10 CEST 2015

Good morning,

I'm facing a problem I would like to share with you.

I'm talking about restart.

I'm using Dune 2.3 and ALUGrid 1.52.

Let me say that I launched my code using 1 process and I stopped it, exiting with a backup of the grid obtained by writeGrid<Dune::xdr>.

Then, I want to launch a new run on 4 processes starting from the grid of the previous run.

I  do it using readGrid<Dune::xdr> and then I call a load balance to distribute the grid to the other 3 processes.

Everything works fine, but...

If, at runtime after a successful load balance, I check the memory usage of every process, process 0 uses more memory than the other processes.

It loaded the grid before my call to load balance and probably it keeps some information in memory (the factory??).

Is there a way to free this amount of memory? Or this information must live in the 0 process memory?

For large grid, this behaviour can make one node to swap, drastically lowering the code performances.

Any hint is really appreciated.

Thanks for your attention.

Bests,

Marco