[Dune] Problems with server in Heidelberg

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Aug 28 12:00:49 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

the server in Heidelberg that hosts

- the web site
- the bug tracker
- the mailing lists
- the repositories

spontaneously restarted this morning and subsequently failed to boot (in fact, it got stuck
during the BIOS verification, so it is a hardware problem). I finally managed to get it up again,
but I’m not convinced of its stability - as I don’t know what triggered the error, it might happen
again at any time.

If the issue appears again, we might have to think about speeding up the move to the new
server, but that might take several days.

Unfortunately, the mailing lists also depend on the server, so it’s impossible to inform people
about problems as long as it is down. Maybe we should think about an independent place to
post updates in that case? A Twitter account maybe?

Steffen