[Dune] [GSoC20015] Help preparing our application

Aleksejs Fomins aleksejs.fomins at lspr.ch
Mon Feb 9 16:59:25 CET 2015

Dear Christoph,

We would like to participate in GSoC effort, and we have a proposal
for a summer project involving our new Curvilinear Grid.

The main idea will be to extend curvilinear grid to manage internal
boundary (IB) surfaces. It will involve:
 - extending CurvGMSHReader to recognize IB surfaces. [1 Procedure +
visual testing]
 - function to insert IB surface markers to grid, store them [1 Procedure]
 - new iterators to iterate over IB surface [small addition to the
interface]
 - writing of test programs, for example, verifying Gauss law by
integrating over concentric shells. The student is welcome to propose
and implement his own physical tests which may match their scientific
interests, as long as such tests can be implemented within reasonable
time.

This is the programme-minimum. In case the student is successful with
above task fast enough, we propose to continue the project by
extending CurvGMSHReader with the functionality to recognise periodic
boundaries. This will involve writing a utility class which extracts
periodic information directly from the .geo script.

I am happy to supervise the project.

Please tell me if this is ok. I am happy to provide a detailed project
description and other details when necessary.

Regards,
Aleksejs