[Dune] Reading arbitrary polygonal meshes in Dune

Benedikt Oswald benedikt.oswald at lspr.ch
Thu Feb 26 15:05:13 CET 2015

aha. But still, what about triangulating into triangles and assigning a
certain tag to a group of elements
that form the original polygon, then evaluating the algorthm based on
triangles with that same tag ? Benedikt

Am 26/02/15 um 15:01 schrieb Christian Engwer:
> Hi Benedikt,
>
> he says he wants to use the virtual element method and there the main
> idea is to have a method which wokrs on arbitrary polygons.
>
> Christian
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 02:56:01PM +0100, Benedikt Oswald wrote:
>> Hello Ganesh
>>
>> a simpler, relatively straighforward approach could be
>> to read your polygons into gmsh and then have gmsh
>> triangulate them, into triangles. The same approach
>> would also work in 3D. Then, there is not need to
>> write a new grid. Greetings, Benedikt
>>
>> Am 26/02/15 um 14:49 schrieb Christian Engwer:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> currently no grid can handle such elements. Once upon a time there was
>>> a simple implementation, which was able to handle arbitrary polygonal
>>> elements in 2D with out refinement. But this doesn't work with the
>>> current Dune anymore. On the other hand I believe it wouldn't be too
>>> difficult to implement such a mesh, as we have introducent several
>>> changes in the interface to allow for non-standard meshes (this was
>>> all with the cornerpoint mesh in mind).
>>>
>>> Ciao
>>> Christian

>> --

Dr. sc. techn. Benedikt Oswald - first engineer - LSPR AG - phone - +41 43 366 90 74
Technoparkstrasse 1, CH-8005 Zürich, benedikt.oswald at lspr.ch - labor vincit omnia improbus