[Dune] Reading arbitrary polygonal meshes in Dune

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Thu Feb 26 15:31:42 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 03:05:13PM +0100, Benedikt Oswald wrote:
> aha. But still, what about triangulating into triangles and assigning a
> certain tag to a group of elements
> that form the original polygon, then evaluating the algorthm based on
> triangles with that same tag ? Benedikt

It will make handling of DOFs nearly impossible. Often you have things
like one DOF per intersection/face (in the case of conforming polygons
every intersection corresponfs to a face), but now you have polygon
internal faces and resolving this is all but simple.

Christian

> Am 26/02/15 um 15:01 schrieb Christian Engwer:
> > Hi Benedikt,
> >
> > he says he wants to use the virtual element method and there the main
> > idea is to have a method which wokrs on arbitrary polygons.
> >
> > Christian
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 02:56:01PM +0100, Benedikt Oswald wrote:
> >> Hello Ganesh
> >>
> >> a simpler, relatively straighforward approach could be
> >> to read your polygons into gmsh and then have gmsh
> >> triangulate them, into triangles. The same approach
> >> would also work in 3D. Then, there is not need to
> >> write a new grid. Greetings, Benedikt

> >> --
> >>

> --
> Dr. sc. techn. Benedikt Oswald - first engineer - LSPR AG - phone - +41 43 366 90 74
> Technoparkstrasse 1, CH-8005 Zürich, benedikt.oswald at lspr.ch - labor vincit omnia improbus

Prof. Dr. Christian Engwer
Institut für Numerische und Angewandte Mathematik
Fachbereich Mathematik und Informatik der Universität Münster
Einsteinstrasse 62
48149 Münster

E-Mail	christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Telefon	+49 251 83-35067