[Dune] Grid API without EntityPointer

Aleksejs Fomins aleksejs.fomins at lspr.ch
Tue Jan 6 09:32:35 CET 2015

Dear Dune,

We are currently trying very hard to finish the implementation of the
Grid API for the CurvilinearGrid. We have certain pressure on us, as we
desperately require this functionality soon to be able to model
nanooptical structures. This Grid manager will be made publicly
available in due course.

Based on the results of the last developer meeting minutes, we have
decided to implement the API completely without using the EntityPointer,
because it is not hip any more. However, when reading the last
EntitySeed discussion, it seems that we may have misinterpreted the
developer intentions. Therefore, I have the following questions:

1) Is it currently possible to use a Grid which is completely free of
EntityPointers?

2) If no, then when is such functionality foreseen?

3) If yes, then how does one implement, for example, iterators. Even in
the patch provided by Steffen, the iterator class still seems to inherit
from the EntityPointer class, which leaves me puzzled on how to
implement iterators without EntityPointers.

Best Regards,
Aleksejs