[Dune] dune-alugrid installation issue

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Fri Jun 5 15:39:21 CEST 2015

Am Thu,  4. Jun 2015, 19:30:54 +0000 schrieb Dunlop, Matt:
> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 19:30:54 +0000
> From: "Dunlop, Matt" <matthew.dunlop at warwick.ac.uk>
> To: "dune at dune-project.org" <dune at dune-project.org>
> Subject: Re: [Dune] dune-alugrid installation issue
>
> Hi Jo,
>
> I sent a reply yesterday, but the configure file was about 150kb too large and the post doesn’t seem to have been approved. I’ve attached an extract from the configure file instead this time, starting from line 36270. The previous reply is below

Alright, the relevont excerpt is this:
    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PSURFACEROOT/lib/pkgconfig:$PSURFACEROOT/lib64/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
    PKG_CHECK_MODULES(PSURFACE, psurface,
        HAVE_PSURFACE="1"
        AC_DEFINE(PSURFACE_NAMESPACE,
                  psurface::,
                  [The namespace prefix of the psurface library])

What is happening here is as follows: PKG_CHECK_MODULES was called, probably
like this (or similar):
    PKG_CHECK_MODULES([PSURFACE], [psurface], [
        HAVE_PSURFACE="1"
        AC_DEFINE(PSURFACE_NAMESPACE,
                  psurface::,
                  [The namespace prefix of the psurface library])
    ])

However, since pkg.m4 was not in the search path, there was not definition of
PKG_CHECK_MODULES, so it did not get replaced by autoconf.  As a result, the
argument list was processed as any other text would have been, i.e. one level
of quotes ([]) was removed, and no further substitutions were done inside the
formerly quoted sections.

So you really need to get pkg.m4 working.

> ------------
>
> Okay, so the mac port of pkg-config is installed in /opt/local/bin/ rather than /usr/local/bin like the autotools. If I uninstall pkg-config and reinstall it in /usr/local/bin however, I get the following error immediately upon trying to call dunecontrol:
>
> /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol: file not found

This is a strange error.  It could have a number of reasons:
1. The location of dunecontrol moved, and you started dunecontrol with an
   explicit path (as given above).  Check that /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol
   exists:

     ls -l /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol

   If /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol turns out to be a symlink, follow that, until
   you either find a dead link or a real file.  Make sure the file you find is
   executable.

2. The location of dunecontrol moved, but your shell still remebers the old
   place.  Either start a new shell or clear the cache of the shell ("hash
   -r") and retry.

3. dunecontrol specifies a non-existing interpreter.  Check whether the
   interpreter specified in the first line (the one starting with "#!") of
   /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol exists and is executable.

4. Some command invoked by dunecontrol does not exists.  Normally I would
   expect your shell to give a little bit more info in the error message in
   this case, but it is possible that not all shells to this.  Try invoking
   dunecontrol like this:

     bash -x /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol [ARGS...]

   This should print all commands the shell is trying to execute from the
   script, and the last one printed befor the error should give some clues.
   Note that doing this can lead to unrelated errors, since dunecontrl may try
   to parse the output from subshells, which is now cluttered by the command
   the subshell is trying to execute.

Regards,
Jö.