[Dune] dune-alugrid installation issue

Dunlop, Matt matthew.dunlop at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Jun 9 15:07:32 CEST 2015

> On 5 Jun 2015, at 14:39, Jö Fahlke <jorrit at jorrit.de> wrote:
>

> However, since pkg.m4 was not in the search path, there was not definition of
> PKG_CHECK_MODULES, so it did not get replaced by autoconf.  As a result, the
> argument list was processed as any other text would have been, i.e. one level
> of quotes ([]) was removed, and no further substitutions were done inside the
> formerly quoted sections.
>
> So you really need to get pkg.m4 working.

Yes, that makes sense. I’ve copied pkg.m4 so that there is a copy in both the /opt/ aclocal directory and the /usr/ one, and that seems to have solved the problem with configure. dune-alugrid is now successfully installed!

>> ------------
>>
>> Okay, so the mac port of pkg-config is installed in /opt/local/bin/ rather than /usr/local/bin like the autotools. If I uninstall pkg-config and reinstall it in /usr/local/bin however, I get the following error immediately upon trying to call dunecontrol:
>>
>> /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol: file not found
>
> This is a strange error.  It could have a number of reasons:
> 1. The location of dunecontrol moved, and you started dunecontrol with an
>   explicit path (as given above).  Check that /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol
>   exists:
>
>     ls -l /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol
>
>   If /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol turns out to be a symlink, follow that, until
>   you either find a dead link or a real file.  Make sure the file you find is
>   executable.
>
> 2. The location of dunecontrol moved, but your shell still remebers the old
>   place.  Either start a new shell or clear the cache of the shell ("hash
>   -r") and retry.
>
> 3. dunecontrol specifies a non-existing interpreter.  Check whether the
>   interpreter specified in the first line (the one starting with "#!") of
>   /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol exists and is executable.
>
> 4. Some command invoked by dunecontrol does not exists.  Normally I would
>   expect your shell to give a little bit more info in the error message in
>   this case, but it is possible that not all shells to this.  Try invoking
>   dunecontrol like this:
>
>     bash -x /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol [ARGS...]
>
>   This should print all commands the shell is trying to execute from the
>   script, and the last one printed befor the error should give some clues.
>   Note that doing this can lead to unrelated errors, since dunecontrl may try
>   to parse the output from subshells, which is now cluttered by the command
>   the subshell is trying to execute.
>
> Regards,
> Jö.

There was never a /usr/local/lib/dunecontrol, everything was contained in a folder in my home directory. After running dune control as you suggested above in point 4, it appears that the variable DUNE_CONTROL_PATH was being given by pkg-config, perhaps something to do with the previous modules that were installed? For some reason it thought that DUNE_CONTROL_PATH was /usr/local/lib/.

Thanks for the help!
Matt