[Dune] certificate problems?

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jun 18 13:11:00 CEST 2015

Ah, good to know.

dune-project.org uses a wildcard certificate for *.dune-project.org. We cannot use SNI because
the current (old) conan still runs Apache 2.2, which doesn’t support SNI. That certificate is signed
by GlobalSign, because GlobalSign has a program that hands out free SSL wildcard certificates
to open source projects (normally, wildcard certificates cost several hundred dollars per year).

conan.iwr.uni-heidelberg runs on a regular DFN-signed certificate, and the DFN root certificate is
cross signed by Deutsche Telekom, so there shouldn’t be a problem.

Gitlab on conan2 currently runs in unencrypted mode because we lack a certificate, that will change
as soon as conan completely moves over to the new server.

I recently had some problems with git.dune-project.org on my Mac because homebrew shipped both
a current and an outdated GlobalSign root certificate, and OpenSSL insisted on picking the expired
certificate - but that’s just a Mac issue.

Steffen