[Dune] localFiniteElement for C1

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Fri Sep 4 10:34:43 CEST 2015

Hi,

Am 04.09.2015 um 10:15 schrieb Oliver Sander:
> Hi Carsten,
>> All this aside, I know that Maren-Wanda Wolf and Tobias Kies,
>> both here at FU Berlin, have implemented the Morley-element
>> (nonconforming C1, triangles) and the Bogner-Fox-Schmidt-element
>> (conforming C1, quadrilaterals), respectively. However,
>> both implementations are experimental, because the
>> former hacks around a) and b), whereas the latter is
>> tied to YaspGrid using knowledge on its implemen-
>> tation-defined element orientations.
> can you maybe post the code somewhere, so people can use it for guidance.
> Also, seeing the code may allow others to understand better exactly how
> you had to hack your way around the interface shortcomings.
I'll ask Maren and Tobias to provide the code. The hack for
the Morley-element is that it's a mix of a local and global
FE: It returns derivatives wrt the global coordinate
system, while the FEs themselves are meant to be stored
and returned by reference. Furthermore is adds a convenience
method evaluateHessian().

Best,
Carsten

--