[Dune] Is anyone using AlbertaGrid with -DDUNE_ALBERTA_CACHE_COORDINATES=0 ?

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Thu Sep 24 14:16:21 CEST 2015

Am Thu, 24. Sep 2015, 13:09:15 +0200 schrieb Martin Nolte:
> Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 13:09:15 +0200
> From: Martin Nolte <nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>
> To: dune at dune-project.org
> Subject: Re: [Dune] Is anyone using AlbertaGrid with
>  -DDUNE_ALBERTA_CACHE_COORDINATES=0 ?
>
> Hi Jö,
>
> up to now, I have only read your proposal once (lack of time). There seem to
> be some subtle points in it and I have to think through more thoroughly. I'd
> suggest to talk on sunday.
>
> For Alberta, I think the crucial point is that entity and geometry objects
> may only be read by another thread. The subtle point is that AlbertaGrid
> uses shallow copies (not thread-safe up to now). So, surprisingly, you
> cannot count copying a read-only operation. But I think you already
> anticipated this problem.

Shallow copies are indeed a problem also in a few other grids (ALUGrid and
GeometryGrid) due to the custom intrusive reference-counting.  They should be
easily fixable by switching to a shared_ptr-based implementation.
Benchmarking needed, of course.

> As ALBERTA internals might also be involved in this discussion, I would
> suggest a small discussion between Claus Heine, you and me (and everyone
> interested).

I'd be very interested.  Sunday evening?

Regards,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster

A mathematician is a device to turn coffee into theorems.
-- Paul Erdős