[Dune] dynamic_cast cost

Andreas Dedner a.s.dedner at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 10:49:56 CET 2016

Hi Marco.
Even if you can't port your own code it might be worthwhile to set up a
simple test case using
the newest version of dune and file a bug report. If we have a simple
case which demonstrates the problem we might be able to solve it (in
2.5) but if the files haven't changed that much perhaps you
can backport the fix? A lot of might and perhaps in that sentence of
course...
As Christoph says, we are not going to fix anything like this in ALU 1.5
any more I'm afraid - just not enough time.
Andreas
PS: why are you so sure that the dynamic_cast is causing the issues -
have you replaced it with a reinterpret_cast and seen the improvement?