[Dune] Prospects of VariableBCRSMatrix

Tobias Kasper Skovborg Ritschel tobk at dtu.dk
Fri Apr 21 10:47:14 CEST 2017

Hi

I am working on an implementation where it would be very useful to have a matrix data structure that could contain matrices of varying size. I suppose that this is the intention with the data structure VariableBCRSMatrix (which is mentioned here<https://dune-project.org/doxygen/2.4.1/group__ISTL__SPMV.html>). The documentation page says that this data structure is not yet implemented (under "Detailed Description").

Is it something that is planned to be implemented at some point or is it currently unscheduled to do so?

If it is not scheduled, is it a task that requires intimate knowledge of the data structures or would it be feasible for me to try to make a preliminary and maybe limited version myself?

I've looked at the files dune/istl/vbvector.hh and dune/istl/bcrsmatrix.hh. vbvector.hh looks somewhat reasonable in complexity (a lot of smaller functions) while bcrsmatrix.hh seems more challenging to me.

Best regards
Tobias Ritschel