[Dune] Prospects of VariableBCRSMatrix

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Fri Apr 21 10:54:13 CEST 2017

Hi Tobias,

> Is it something that is planned to be implemented at some point or is it currently unscheduled to do so?

this would be great to have.  It really only needs somebody to sit down
and do it.

> If it is not scheduled, is it a task that requires intimate knowledge of the data structures or would it be feasible for me to try to make a preliminary and maybe limited version myself?

I don't think intimate knowledge of dune-istl internals is required here.
Have a look at the unit test for BCRSMatrix.  If your implementation passes
that test then you are done.

> I’ve looked at the files dune/istl/vbvector.hh and dune/istl/bcrsmatrix.hh. vbvector.hh looks somewhat reasonable in complexity (a lot of smaller functions) while bcrsmatrix.hh seems more challenging to me.

The complexity of the BCRSMatrix is a source of constant complaints and gnashing of teeth.
I advise you to stay away from it!