[Dune] The solution of a scientific task with your sortware

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Fri Nov 17 16:34:06 CET 2017

Hi Victor,

welcome to the Dune mailing list.  Let me try to answer your questions.

Dune is a set of C++ libraries for people that implement their own
simulation codes.  It may not be as convenient to use as some other
codes, but it gives you unrivaled power and flexibility.  People use
it regularly for numerical mechanics applications, but there is no
general 'mechanics' module that you can download and have everything
right away.  You will need to do a bit of coding yourself.  For an
introduction on what that is like you may want to consult

  https://www.dune-project.org/doc/beginners-resources/

> 1.Does your software allow to build a 3D mechanical model with 1-100 millions cells?

Certainly.

> 3. Does your software can build a mesh for such model?

No, but Dune can import meshes built by other software.

> 2. Does your software allow to assign mechanical properties and boundary conditions to each cell?
> 4. Does your software allow to do different tests such as compression and tensile tests?
> 5. Does your software allow to calculate fracture propagation in such model?

That's all stuff that you will have to implement yourself.  We consider
this to be an advantage, because it gives you full control over what is
happening, and use exactly the models and algorithms that you want.
I personally have calculated fracture propagation in Dune, and it has
been quite convenient.

Don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Best regards,
Oliver