[Dune] Multilevel mesh questions

Raymond van Venetiƫ rayvanve at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 15:56:51 CET 2017

Hello,

I'm trying to implement a multilevel operator that works on locally refined
meshes.
I am using 2D triangular meshes embedded in 3D with newest vertex
bisection. I need some specific properties, and I'm not quite certain what
the best approach would be.

1. Given a triangle in my mesh, how do I find out which of its vertices is
the newest vertex (without looking at its descendants)?
In ALUGrid I was unable to recognize any pattern for the newest vertex. In
ALBERTA it seems that the last vertex is always the newest vertex.

2. I need to look at a variety of 'submeshes', i.e. conforming meshes
contained in my given mesh. For example, I would like to work on the whole
chain of meshes generated by AFEM. How can I do this? Currently I store
such a submesh using a vector of entity seeds, but this requires me to
reinvent a lot of dune procedures. Ideally, I would turn this vector of
entity seeds into a GridView or something alike.

3. For my calculations I need to temporarily refine the given mesh. After
I'm done calculating, how do I remove all these extra refinements? It
appears that I'm not allowed to make a copy of the dune grid.

4. Is there a builtin way to get the element patch of a vertex (elements
adjacent to a given vertex)?

Thanks!

Raymond