[Dune] first release candidate for 2.6 release

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jan 2 10:50:59 CET 2018

Hi,

> Am 02.01.2018 um 01:22 schrieb Christoph Grüninger <foss at grueninger.de>:
>
> Dear Andreas and Martin,
>
> thanks for sharing the progress with Dune 2.6. I gave it a try with
> Clang 5 and CMake 3.10.
>
> * I successfully compiled the core modules and their tests.
> * I successfully compiled some more modules and their tests: alugrid,
> uggrid, typetree, functions
> * I tested DuMuX 3.0 alpha and the failures are related to DuMuX.
>
> Overall, I am positive. What should be addressed:
>
> * dune-grid's mcmgmapper test could work around the deprecation warnings
> * dune-functions requires CMake 2.8.12. Dune common 2.6 will require
> CMake 3.1. Thus, when CMake is executed for dune-funtions, all policies
> are set for 2.8.12. This leads to a warning and might lead to sublte
> bugs. I propose to bumb the required CMake version to 3.1 as well.
> Similar for dune-uggrid, dune-alugrid, DuMux, and probably for several
> modules more. I proposed such a change for dune-uggrid as !90, but it
> has been disputed.
> * Unfortunately this is also true for some core modules like dune-grid.
> This should be fixed.

yes, this needs to be fixed before the release, otherwise we will run into highly weird
bugs because upstream modules rely on CMake 3.1 features (or worse, policy-implied behavior
changes), but CMake runs in compatibility mode when configuring downstream modules that
specify an older CMake version.

We should probably even put a check into the dune-common module code to make sure
people comply with that rule. I’ll open a merge request.

Steffen