[Dune] first release candidate for 2.6 release

Simon Praetorius Simon.Praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Mon Jan 8 10:19:21 CET 2018

Thanks for providing this release candidate,

I have tried to compile dune 2.6.0rc1 on our cluster Taurus a
TU-Dresden with gcc and intel compilers and have encountered some
problems I want to share here. Some are minor and some are bigger
issues:

My library setups is:
---------------------
CMake 3.9.0, BullXMPI 1.2.8.4, METIS 5.1.0, ParMETIS 4.0.3, MKL 2015/2017

Compiler GCC 6.2.0:
-------------------
- (different) warnings: 7
- errors: 1

dune-istl/dune/istl/repartition.hh:1381:27: error: cannot convert
'float*' to 'real_t* {aka double*}' for argument '10' to 'int
ParMETIS_V3_PartKway'

The error is related to how ParMETIS is compiled on a system. On my
system it uses `double` pointers. See appended text for a simple
solution

compiler Intel 2015 (15.0.3):
-----------------------------
- cmake: Unable to determine C++ standard support for the compiler.
Needs to set manually DISABLE_CXX_VERSION_CHECK=1,
CXX_MAX_SUPPORTED_STANDARD=14, and CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-std=c++14"
- warnings: > 3
- errors: > 8 (some are related errors)

main issue: intel 15 is compatible with gcc up to 4.9 (and uses
libstdc++ and headers from this gcc version on my system)
-> e.g. std::is_trivially_copyable not implemented
-> no generic lambda (or at least not fully supported)
-> constexpr functions can not return void
    (
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29261276/constexpr-void-function-rejected
)

compilers intel 2016-2017:
--------------------------
similar as above. Number of errors reduced by not to 0

compiler intel 2018 (18.0.1):
-----------------------------
- warnings: 7
- errors: 6

The errors are all of the same kind on different places in the code
and related to, what I think, is a bug in the intel compilers. In a
Hybrid::forEach, inside the lambda, the names from namespace
Dune::Hybrid are not found, although `using namespace Dune::Hybrid` is
stated before the call to `forEach`. These errors are simple to
workaround, i.e. simply add an additional `using namespace
Dune::Hybrid` inside the lambda. But this is not very beautiful and
will be forgotten probably in implementations in the future. Maybe we
have to formulate a style-guide for `Hybrid::forEach` calls.

--------

Since, intel 2015 is limited to gcc 4.9, I think the support may be
dropped. But intel 2016 supports gcc 5.1 and thus I hope, we could
make Dune compatible with this compiler at least, maybe with some
small workarounds.

See appended the list of warnings and errors I've found when just
compiling the dune modules and tests from dune-common, dune-geometry,
dune-grid, dune-istl, dune-localfunctions.

Best wishes,
Simon Praetorius