[Dune] Is anyone using the FMatrixHelp/DynamicMatrixHelp eigenvalue functions?

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Mon Jul 2 19:06:28 CEST 2018

Hi!

Is anyone using any of the following functions from dune-common, or can they
be removed (without deprecation)?

- fmatrixev.hh:
  - FMatrixHelp::eigenValues<dim, K>() for dim > 3
  - FMatrixHelp::eigenValuesNonSym()
  - FMatrixHelp::eigenValuesLapackCall()
  - FMatrixHelp::eigenValuesNonsymLapackCall()
- dynmatrixev.hh:
  - DynamicMatrixHelp::eigenValuesNonSym()
  - DynamicMatrixHelp::eigenValuesNonsymLapackCall()

Please respond until 2018-07-09 (in one week) I you use those functions,
otherwise I'll start removing them (and that would would be a waste of time if
the removal has to be reverted later...).

Backgound: https://gitlab.dune-project.org/core/dune-istl/issues/48

Essentially, these functions require Lapack and in turn blas to be linked into
the dune-common library, causing hanging programs due to incompatible versions
of blas being linked later from dune-istl, depending on system system
configuration.

The "Help" suffix on the namespaces suggests that these functions are not part
of any official interface, which would mean they can be removed without
notice.  That may already solve the linking problem, and if it doesn't at
least it I would only have dune-istl left to deal with.

On the other hand, these functions, although they are only thin wrappers at
best around lapack functions, do have quite elaborate tests, suggesting
someone might care about them.  So I thought I'd better ask here.

Regards,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free.
-- Linus Torvalds