[Dune] How do I configure DUNE core modules for cross-compilation from Linux to Windows?

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Wed Nov 13 16:38:50 CET 2019

Dear Richard,

> I plan to cross compile the modules using a Linux host machine.   Is this the good approach to achieve the goal?  Or is there better approach?

you can do this and I already did so. You caneither use a real linux machine or you use the linux subsystem that comes with newer windows versions. In any case, if you have ubuntu running you can simply install the mingw under linux to cross compile. The tricky part is setting up cmake correctly.

I added a very brief description of this to the dune-common docs:
dune-common/doc/buildsystem/windows.rst
and two examples, one for the opts-file and one for a cmake toolchain file. Both can be found in
dune-common/doc/buildsystem/examples/

Hope this helps... let me know if you suggestions on how to improve the documentation.

Best