[Dune] Help requested for my first test case in non linear mechanics

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Thu Apr 16 09:07:45 CEST 2020

Hi Thomas,

> It almost works. I can simulate a tensile test for an elastic behaviour and a plastic behaviour.
> I probably can use any smal strain behaviour generated by MFront. The non-linearity is treated
> very crudely as we use an Newton algorithm with a fixed number of iterations.

that sounds pretty good already.

> The trouble is that it only works if the grid contains only a single element. This probably means
> that I made a mistake in the assembly of the stiffness matrix or the assembly of the inner
> forces. I reread my code several times without finding the trouble.

Did you check whether the matrix and forces are assembled correctly?
What I would do is choose a very small grid (say, 2x2), assemble everything,
and write the matrix and forces to a file (or print them to the screen).
Then compare with one of your working implementations.  This will allow you
to narrow down the cause of your problem.

Helpers for writing/printing vectors and sparse matrices can be found in dune/istl/io.hh.

Bonne chance,
Oliver