[Dune] Dune license

Andreas Lauser and at poware.org
Tue Sep 22 09:56:08 CEST 2020

Hi,

On Tuesday, 22 September 2020 09:44:12 CEST Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Andreas Lauser writes:
> >> (What Andreas describes is something totally different. That might
> >> happen if you start copying code to another repository and modify it
> >> there.)
> >
> > You also loose the template exception if DUNE packages which are used have
> > been patched, e.g., if they have received security or build fixes by the
> > Linux distribution.  All software based on DUNE which gets shipped by in
> > Linux distributions must thus effectively be GPL2 licensed.
>
> No, DUNE's license doesn't change if someone patches it.

that depends on the exact legal interpretation of the words of the template
exception. I suppose that this is a matter that can only be definitely decided
in court, but distributions that are cautious about licensing must handle DUNE
as if it was GPLv2 licensed without template exception.

cheers
  Andreas

--
We no longer have things with computers embedded in them. We have
computers with things attached to them.