[Dune] Dune license

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Tue Sep 22 10:12:01 CEST 2020

>> No, DUNE's license doesn't change if someone patches it.

>I suppose that this is a matter that can only be definitely
>decided
>in court,

that is true, just as with any license

The license we have chosen is about as good as things can get, as it is the same license as the one that was used for the GNU libstdc++. Later (with the design of GPL3/LGPL3) the situation of template code was already considered in the LGPL, so that no additional exception would be necessary.

At the time we started DUNE, there was no LGPL3...

Regarding Linux distributions, Debian is very strict and has people with a very good legal understanding of the corner cases of licenses. Apparently Debian didn't consider this license to be problematic. So please stop spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt [1].

Ciao
Christian

[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty,_and_doubt