[Dune] Parallel AMG with unstructured mesh

Paul Maidl paul.maidl at uni-ulm.de
Tue Nov 7 14:55:42 CET 2023

Dear Dune-Developers,

I am a PhD Student at Uni Ulm working with the dune core library together
with dune-alugird and dune-multidomaingrid.

Currently I try to do the parallelization of my FE solver and I want to use
an AMG preconditioner. My current idea is, to use the AMG from dune-istl. I
tried to transform the example from git in
dune-istl/dune/istl/paamg/test/parallelamgtest.cc.

I am not sure how to fill the parallel index set for the communication. Here
are my questions:

-          Can I use Dune::OwnerOverlapCopyCommunication,
Dune::OverlappingSchwarzOperator also for an unstructured mesh with no
overlap of the cells? Due to the used finite element discretization there is
an overlap of the degrees of freedom.

-          Is there any efficient way to fill the parallel index set? In the
example this is done by hand but I am not sure how to do this on an
unstructured mesh.

-          Is there any example where the paamg is used together with an
unstructured mesh?

Thank you very much for your help and best regards

Paul Maidl