[Dune-devel] [GSoC] Performance testing: schedule for second half

Miha Čančula miha at noughmad.eu
Mon Aug 5 17:50:37 CEST 2013

2013/8/5 Christoph Grüninger <christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de>

> Hi Miha,
> congratulations for passing the mid term evaluation. Could you summarize,
> preferably in a blog post, what you achieved so far and what you initially
> planed? And can you give an updated schedule for the second half?

Thank you :)

Yes, I wanted to write a post yesterday, but ran out of time. I'll write an
update today.

> You started to use an documentation generator. You chose Sphinx which is
> a natural choice in a Python environment. As Dune uses Doxygen, the latter
> would be better suited for your Dune module.

I used both Sphinx for Python and Doxygen for C++, but never Doxygen for
Python.
I don't think there should be any problems converting, though.
If you think it should be consistent with the rest of DUNE I'll change it
right away.
I don't really have an opinion here, I think Sphinx is better suited for
python
(it has an easy syntax for argument types, for example), but I can still
switch.

> I tried the recently added files for the build systems. I don't have
> sphinx-built installed and the autotools based dunecontrol run broke.
> If you stick to Sphinx, you should only use it conditionally after
> configure found it. Otherwise the automated documentation generation
> should be disabled.

Yes, I agree. I must confess I'm still not entirely familiar with
autotools,
so I didn't make it optional yet, but it's definitely on my to-do list.

By the way, do you do the same with Doxygen-generated documentation,
or is Doxygen required?

> When I try to run dune-control with CMake, it starts the autotools.
> I have not really investigated this behavior and it could be a bug
> with Dune's CMake support. Does it work for you? If not, I'll have
> a look.

No, it's because I haven't included the CMake files yet.

I'm still a little curious about this dual-buildsystem thing you have.
As I understand it DUNE can be built either with autotools or CMake.
I have plenty of experience with CMake, as I worked with KDE before,
so this is definitely my favored choice. But I still have to support
both toolchains, right?