[Dune-devel] [Dune-Commit] [Commit] dune-istl - ae1cc4f: [CMake] Adjust find SuperLU script modifies ALL_PKG_LIBS property

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Tue Dec 16 20:19:15 CET 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 07:32:18PM +0100, Dominic Kempf wrote:
> we did not add the DUNE_LIBS to the ALL_PKG_LIBS, but wrote the macro
> add_dune_all_flags in a way, that it appends both DUNE_LIBS and
> ALL_PKG_LIBS (in that order). This way the scenario you mention does not
> come up. We were not sure whether people would expect the DUNE_LIBS to be
> part of ALL_PKG_LIBS. If so, the find scripts should prepend the flags
> instead of appending them.

I used a dune lib because there the problem would definitely
occur. Maybe that was a bad example. But there are other tests that
depend on each other, e.g. ParMETIS -> METIS. Therefore we should try
to make this right from the beginning. Even if it is just for users
that might use our code as a template.

> PS: When you proposed to get rid of all the package-specific flags and
> macros, did you think of a mechanism like this one or something entirely
> new?

Actually, my idea was more radical. But I already kind of
anticipated a misunderstanding when I saw it on the 2.4 list.

My idea was to not to offer any dune_add_<bla> functionality, but always
globally set the maximum available available flags globally (using
include_directories and link_libraries) such that
all binaries/libs are compile the same. Then we could stop forcing
people to use our build system, by publishing all the flags/libs via
pkg-config and cmake package configuration. Unfortunately,
link_libraries seems to be deprecated for whatever reason.

Of course I am totally unaware of the compile time increase that this
produces and therefore this should be done in branch. With the current
approach this can also be easily testable and might be a nice
intermediate step.

Markus

--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858