[Dune-devel] Adding extra CXXFLAGS upon calling make with the cmake buildsystem

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Fri Sep 26 19:49:24 CEST 2014

Hi Dominic!

Looking at the latest branch
(http://cgit.dune-project.org/repositories/dune-common/commit/?h=p/dominic/allow-extra-cppflags-in-cmake&id=f578610b3648e55bf7e5f7aaaef6c3c46468533a),
in the line

+ exec_program(chmod ARGS "+x ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR} compiler.sh")

there appears to be a / missing in front of compiler.sh.

Am Fri, 26. Sep 2014, 18:59:22 +0200 schrieb Christoph Grüninger:
> My only complaint is the name of the branch. cpp is the C preprocessor.
> This is a common misnomer in our build-system code, but we should get
> rid of it.

Indeed the distinction between CXXFLAGS and CPPFLAGS is dissolved, but I don't
think it matters for this use case.  You have to be careful though to
explicitly override any flags that are set by default.  (E.g. with automake,
if CXXFLAGS=-O3 CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG was the default, specifying CXXFLAGS=-Wall
CPPFLAGS="" on the make command line would also turn off optimizations and
enable assertions; now you explicitly have to specify EXTRA_CXXFLAGS="-Wall
-O0 -UNDEBUG").

Regards,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster

It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but
an act of murder.
-- Albert Einstein