[Dune-devel] [SOCIS 2015] How to apply?

Christoph Grüninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Apr 29 14:38:33 CEST 2015

Cześć Marcin,
you have to apply at ESA until April 30th 23:59. I think you proposal is
part of the application. But you can still update your proposal until we
(the Dune project) decides whom to choose.

The level of detail depends on you. I'd prefer a weekly one, because it
will then be easier for us to track your success and track delays.
Nevertheless, a different proposal might be convincing as well.

How much time will you have to spend for the SOCIS project? Just spare
time or would it be part of your project / research? Beeing a PhD
student myself, I doubt that I could handle a SOCIS in my spare time.

Here some general advice I already gave today:
2. Prepare a proposal, you can share your proposal either with the
mentors or here on the mailing list. We might give you hints how to
improve your proposal.
3. We ask students for a proof that they are capable of fulfilling their
task. That can be a junior job
http://users.dune-project.org/projects/esa-socis-2015/wiki/Junior_jobs
I am in doubt that you have enough time left to get a job done. At least
try to get Dune running on your machine (BTW, are you using Windows, OS
X or Linux?) and execute the dune-grid-howto examples.
4. You have to fill out the application form on the SOCIS homepage
http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis/?q=node/21

Some help on how to write a good application:
http://teom.org/blog/kde/how-to-write-a-kick-ass-proposal-for-google-summer-of-code/

Please always ask on the mailing list, if you are in doubt. We will help
with your application.

--
People who are more than casually interested in computers should have
at least some idea of what the underlying hardware is like. Otherwise