[dune-fem] A dune-fem project for the thesis

Tobias Malkmus tomalk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Oct 2 08:38:22 CEST 2012

Hi Mauro

Sorry to let your wait.

First of all, the problem can be solved within Dune-Fem context.
I assume ε is small, so your problem has different scaling properties.

In general Dune-Fem can solve equations of the form

∂tv = F( v )

with given initial and boundary conditions as you have mentioned.
The time discretisation in dune-Fem is a k-staged implict or explicit
Runge-Kutta Method up to order 4.

Lets come to the question of space discretisation.
An example for an advection-diffusion equation
using a DG discretisation in space can be found in the 'actual'
fem-howto. It solves an equation of the form

∂tv + \nabla (w*v) - ε div \mathbf{\nabla} v = 0

with given w, which is closed to your problem.

If you are interested into Lagrange elements, an example is not yet
available.

Next week there will be a summerschool for Dune-Fem in Freiburg, i don't
know wether registration time expired.
Solving advection-diffusion equation with dune-fem is one topic of this
school.

If you want to attend this school you should ask Martin Nolte wether it
is possible.

Best Tobias