[dune-fem] Boundary integrals in dune-fem

Sacconi, Andrea a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 18:00:23 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,

I have a question about boundary integrals in dune-fem.

Let's suppose you want to solve the Laplace equation; so I have taken dune-fem-howto where this problem is already implemented.
However, if I wanted to implement different boundary conditions in different portions of the boundary, that tutorial needs to be enriched.

The file functional.hh (for simplicity taken from the tutorial and attached to my mail) defines an integral functional, that is subsequently used to assemble the rhs of the Laplace equation.
My questions are:

1) what's the ratio behind this additional class? I've to confess I'm a bit lost. I don't get the different roles played by the operator (), applyLocal and the class AssembledFunctional.
2) when I introduce a Neumann condition on a portion of the boundary, a new boundary contribution to the rhs arises. Would it be possible to modify the file into a new one, changing only some details?
In this case, what do I have to change in the local functions and the quadrature points?

Many thanks in advance!

Andrea

Andrea Sacconi
PhD student, Applied Mathematics
AMMP Section, Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London,
London SW7 2AZ, UK
a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk