[dune-pdelab] Two problems with installation of pdelab-howto

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 2 16:36:01 CET 2011

Hi Andrea,

I'm using Dune (the trunk of both the core modules and PDELab) on OS X
10.6. In principle, it should also work on 10.5, but you might run into some
incompatibilities with regard to the toolchain (in particular, I would advise
you to switch to either the Apple-supplied GCC 4.2 or use MacPorts to install
a more recent compiler. The last one is probably a lot more robust anyway,
especially when you aren't using pregenerated packages, since that gets you
much more recent versions of the autotools (automake, autoconf etc.) used
during the build process. I also remember some problem with libtool - I had
to install that from MacPorts, which calls the binaries glibtool and glibtoolize,
which required a small change in dune-common for me somewhere. I can look
it up, but I don't have much time this week, because I am at a conference.

In summary: Try running it on top of MacPorts!

Steffen

Email: steffen.muething at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de