[dune-pdelab] Parallel (block?) preconditioners

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Wed Nov 2 17:00:52 CET 2011

Consider the Gauss-Seidel prec.

mesh:
   x--x--x--x
decomposition with overlap:
 P1 x--x--o
 P2    o--x--x

on one process the result of the last node will depend on current
iterative of the other three nodes, in parallel, it will depend
on the old iterative of the first two nodes and the current iterative
of the second last node.

WIth ILU it is in principal the same, but more complicated, because
you don't know apriori, what ILU will do. In 1D the ILU is a bit
simpler, because it does a full LU decomposition, but in 2D, it
depends on the values of the actual matrix.

Christian