[dune-pdelab] periodic boundary conditions

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Mon Oct 31 21:23:53 CET 2011

Hi!

first you have to settle the question of the grid. I don't have a
complete overview of the support of periodic boundaries of the
different grid managers.

I know:
- YaspGrid handles what you want, but without inclusions
- UG does have some kind of periodic support, but I don't know what
  exactly is supported and you can't use easily fromm DUNE [patches
  wellcome ;-)]
- Alugrid from 1.23 on support periodic boundaries in 3D

Depending on the grid you are using the periodicity is implemented
similar to parallel coupling, which uses domain decomposition with
overlap or ghosts. In this case you should use the periodic
constraints. If the grid implements periodicity as periodicity in the
topology of the grid, you don't have to change anything (not sure if
any grid supports this).

The last option is implement periodictity in PDELab without support of
the grid. You should the write your own constraints-assembler
local-operator, which adds dirichlet constraints on one side. There is
no real tutorial on this. You will have to dive into it...

Christian