[dune-pdelab] First public release of PDELab

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Aug 2 15:19:11 CEST 2012

Dear PDELab users and developers,

we are proud to announce the first public release of PDELab! Version 1.0.1 is ready,
packaged and waiting for many downloads. Don't be fooled by the point release, this version
is really the first public version and is identical to the never-released 1.0. It it only differs by some
fixes to the release package of the dune-pdelab-howto module, which I missed when tagging 1.0.

As opposed to our earlier snapshot versions, PDELab 1.0.1 is a real release and is designed to work
with the 2.2 release of the Dune core modules, so if you are not living on the bleeding edge and working
with the trunk of the DUNE core modules, we recommend you also switch to the release version of PDELab.
There is quite a lot of movement in the DUNE trunk at the moment, and it is likely that this will force us to drop
compatibility with DUNE 2.2 in the PDELab trunk in the near future as well. Moreover, as we are planning
some major implementation changes for PDELab, the trunk might become a little unstable over the next few
months while the new code gets integrated. So to reiterate: If you are a "normal" PDELab users, just switch
to the release - that will also make it easier for the developers to help you with problems, as it solves the issue
of pretty much everyone working with a different revision of the library.

There are two ways to get the release:

- Download preconfigured packages from the PDELab website at
  http://www.dune-project.org/pdelab/#pdelab-release-packages. These packages have been created with the
  release packages of Dune 2.2 and should thus offer optimum compatibility. The packages also contain pre-generated
  API documentation (for the library) and the Howto document, which is handy if you don't have Latex and/or Doxygen
  installed.

- Check out the 1.0 release branch from Subversion (see http://www.dune-project.org/pdelab/#pdelab-svn-access
  for the exact URL). We will backport important bug fixes to this branch until the next release of PDELab. The branch
  has the advantage of not having to wait for bug-fix releases, but you will have to build your own documentation if you
  need it.

We also took the opportunity to clear up our licensing terms as part of the release - a short explanation of the new
licensing terms can be found in the news section of http://www.dune-project.org/pdelab/.

Thanks to everybody who helped with testing and finding last-minute bugs and to all contributors for agreeing to the
new licensing terms and the useful discussions about which licenses to pick - and sorry for boring quite a lot of you
with those discussions, but I think it was worth it for now having the whole issue sorted out! ;-)

Best regards (and have fun with PDELab),

Steffen

Steffen Müthing
Universität Stuttgart
Institut für Parallele und Verteilte Systeme
Universitätsstr. 38
70569 Stuttgart
Tel: +49 711 685 88429
Fax: +49 711 685 88340