[dune-pdelab] some problems in dune

Dr. Olaf Ippisch olaf.ippisch at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Nov 4 08:48:20 CET 2014

Dear Robert,

in my opinion the advantage of AMG to GMG is that it still works if you
have heterogeneity on the fine grid, whereas GMG only works well if the
heterogeneity is resolved on the coarse grid. It has nothing to do with
the number of coarse grid elements.

The idea of AMG is to coarsen the system long enough to make an exact
solution on the coarse grid feasible. Therefore a coarsentarget of 1 is
usually not a good idea. However, there are situations where this still
can make sense. I used a coarsen target of 1 when solving linear
equation systems originating from the discretisation of a parabolic
problem on a system with more than a hundred thousand processors. In the
case of a parabolic problem the equation is strictly diagonally dominant
and the iteration number should stay constant independend of the number
of unknowns anyhow. The AMG is then used to cope with heterogeneity and
smoothing on the coarse grid is sufficient. If you deal with elliptic
problems it is essential to solve the problem on the coarse grid with an
exact solver, else the convergence will be very poor. However, this
involves repartitioning the system to fewer nodes, which can be rather
costly. Thus it pays off to avoid it in the parabolic case on very large
machines.

Best regards,
Olaf Ippisch

--