[dune-pdelab] Memory leak problem with BCGS_AMG_SSOR linear solver for parallel computations

Shubhangi Gupta sgupta at geomar.de
Tue Apr 17 14:23:11 CEST 2018

Dear all,

I am trying to simulate a time-dependent PDE on a fairly large 2D domain.

I use the BCGS_AMG_SSOR linear solver for parallel computations, in
combination with Newton method,
     Dune::PDELab::ISTLBackend_BCGS_AMG_SSOR<IGO> LS;
     LS ls(gfs,5000,0, _/false/_, true);

I am using dune 2.4 version.
I noticed that if I do not reuse the matrix in LS then I experience
massive memory leaks. For reference, I have 64 GB RAM and a swap of 128
GB, and even then I run out of memory within just a quarter way through
my simulation!
But if I reuse the matrix (i.e., LS ls(gfs,5000,0, _/true/_, true)), I
no longer get the memory leak issue, but the simulation becomes
painfully slow. It starts out at normal speed, but gets progressively
slower, to a point where it is essentially useless.

Is this normal? I am wondering if anyone can suggest a fix or an
alternative for my problem.

Thanks in advance,
warm wishes, Shubhangi

--