[Dune] gcc 4.3 compatibility

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jun 23 11:08:50 CEST 2008

Hi Martin!
Feel free to update the documentation as you deem necessary.
My own impression, though, is that the transition to gcc 4.3 is not
very difficult after all.  At least all my applications compile without
any problems.

Martin Nolte schrieb:
> Dear all,
>
> today I tried to compile some dune stuff using gcc 4.3.1. It did not work out of
> the box, though most errors I encountered were easy to fix. Reviewing the bugs
> (see changes in dune-grid:4187), I assume that the current releases do not work
> with the gcc 4.3 series. As the first linux distributions (e.g., Fedora) start
> using this gcc series, I thought we might hint this fact on our web sites.
>
> Moreover, I think we should monitor GCC bug 35989. It states that the following
> template specialization does not compile:
>
> template< class A >
> class B< std :: vector< A > :: iterator > {};
>
> I ran into a similar bug in my code.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75217           *
* Institut für Mathematik II   ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *